Sunday, November 9, 2008

Which craft is craft?

To clarify, all of the images selected in the previous post are considered "craft". This blog is not intended to downplay the technique or talent needed to create craft, no matter which craft you subscribe to. Rather this blog was created to broaden the knowledge of craft as a true art form.

There are many talented people creating absolutely beautiful pieces of craft, however, most of the craft that people make in their homes, judgment aside, does not belong in a museum. There are eight (8) museums in the United States that are solely dedicated to exhibiting craft (visit their sites on the side nav bar). And this blog is dedicated to exploring and promoting craft as a true art form.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish there were more places to practice crafting. I've done some beadwork, knitting, weaving, and scrap booking, but now that I have kids, I find that doing this at home just doesn't happen. I've tried Made By Me pottery painting on Mass. Ave., and I've wanted to try Spark Craft Studios, also on Mass Ave., but the costs seem prohibitive. So is there really a place where I can take my unfinished crafts, for example I have at least three unfinished knit scarves, and have the support to complete them?

Scarlette's Revolution said...

I am so glad you asked! Fuller Craft Museum offers an amazing opportunity to do exactly what you are looking for. Wednesday nights (5-9) the Museum is open for Crafts Klatsch; a time for anyone to stop by the Museum, bring the craft they are working on and enjoy cookies and tea/coffee. Crafts Klatsch is open to the public every Wednesday night and costs a mere $2 (free for members). It's a fun time to hang out after work and enjoy the company of others crafting. I suggest you check it out!

ManyHats said...

So I've gotta ask, how do you know about these 8? I love that you provided links to the websites and bring them all together. Great job.

Scarlette's Revolution said...

Great question, manyhats! There are numerous museums and galleries that exhibit and collect craft but there are only 8 in the United States that are solely dedicated to exhibiting and collecting craft alone. The Institute of Contemporary Art could be considered a craft museum but their focus is not unconditionally on craft. Fuller Craft Museum and the Mint Museum of Craft are two fine examples of museums whose mission is to promote craft.
Currently I only have 3 craft museums listed in the links on my blog but I plan on including all 8 of the craft museums' websites. Stay tuned for more information!